Thursday, November 10

Gran Torino (2008) by Clint Eastwood


Gran Torino was one of those films I wanted to see because of the fuzz, but at the same time I didn't know what appropriate time to see it since I anticipated bloodshed and all of those stuff. In fact I couldn't be more wrong and it's one of my last seen movies that I've kept very dear in my heart, not only tells a great story but shows raw reality. Clint Eastwood plays the role of Walt Kowalski, a retired veteran from the Vietnamese War, who lives alone after his wife's death, estranged to his sons because of his not so friendly manners, estranged to their neighbours because he is mainly a racist who cannot tolerate the asians that took over the neighborhood. But this is just like peeling an onion, there are too many layers, and we discover a character impossible to love though it's grumpy and stubborn as hell. And the story develops as his friendship develops with the asians, something rather impossible at the begging of the story...and so it turns into endearing moments, nonetheless with some brutal reality, but most of all of respect, of love.
It is a great movie with a character who has the necessary grit to make the difference when difference cannot be achieved in the usual way. Great performance by Clint Eastwood!!! And great song at the end!!!


No comments: