Sunday, February 13

"The King's Speech" by Tom Hooper - We all have a voice!



Oscar's night is coming and everyone wants to know whose going to be the Best Picture of 2010! I sure want to... Beliefs apart I really enjoyed this movie about King George VI and his stammering problems. Tom Hooper is not very well known except for being the Englishman responsible for the outstanding two episodes series of Elizabeth I (2005 ). This gave him at that time an Emmy award for Best director and emmys and golden globes for its main characters portrayed by Helen Mirren and Jeremy Irons. Anyway, today is the day where BAFTA awards are announced and The King's Speech is already a winner if not for the great performance of Colin Firth as the main character.
King's Speech is a movie about people, real people who in spite being above all else are humans with problems and fears like any other. Even so it's a movie about how we are so deeply afraid of ourselves, hiding in our own fears, never knowing what is possible and believing all the worst. It proves us that it's possible to overcome fears just by having someone who believe in us or believing in itself, by really being what we never thought possible but in truth it was already there.
The portrait of the King it's perfect and Colin is just so well cast for this role, his elegance and Britishness it just fits him as a glove...He's probably going to win the Oscar, and I really think he is superb but even though I really enjoyed this movie I can't stop wondering about last year..he was perfect with " A single man" being beyond his natural self...
Helena Bonham Carter is also very nice and I can't look at her and not see the late queen mother...it's all there, and Geoffrey is like a nice breeze keeping all so smooth and endearing.
Cinematography speaking maybe it's not great but everything else is worth every minute.
The soundtrack is also lovely, Alexandre Desplat of course :)
I rate this movie according to my own taste naturally and I'm just swept away with this kind of movies.... I give it 4 1/2 stars in 5!!!

My favourite quotes:
King George VI: [Logue is sitting on the coronation throne] Get up! Y-you can't sit there! GET UP!
Lionel Logue: Why not? It's a chair.
King George VI: T-that... that is Saint Edward's chair.
Lionel Logue: People have carved their names on it.
King George VI: L-listen to me... listen to me!
Lionel Logue: Why should I waste my time listening to you?
King George VI: Because I have a voice!
Lionel Logue: ...yes, you do.

3 comments:

cit said...

Very good review indeed...

Uruk Riot said...

You still have it! Keep up the good work!

SL said...

ehehhe thank you J :PPP